Student attendance is important for your academic success leading to graduating as a DON! As a Don, when you come to school you are more likely to succeed academically because you are attending school consistently. It is difficult for the student who is late/absent to build their skills and progress if they are frequently late/absent. We want you attending each of your classes on time everyday in order to be a successful Don at SVHS and in life!
All students need to be aware, you MAY lose SCHOOL PRIVILEGES and can jeopardize participation in the numerous school sponsored activities if you have attendance issues (on campus instruction and/or distance learning instruction).
- Students with CHRONIC ABSENCES, TRUANCIES or TARDINESS
- FIVE or more UNEXCUSED/UNVERIFIED ABSENCES during the school year may be grounds for loss of school activities.
- REMINDER: 3 TARDIESto any class periods equals ONE Unexcused Absence
- Students with 10 or more absences in one year, jeopardize failing the class by not meeting the minimum seat hours required by state law.
- Students with 10 or more absences will have a Student Attendance Review Team meeting scheduled to address issues affecting attendance.
- Tardiness will only be excused when notes or phones calls are received the same day of the tardy.
Examples of School privileges that can be taken away:
- All Dances (including prom)
- Extra-Curricular Activities including Sports
- After school/weekend events
- 12th grade students will be excluded from Senior Activities
- Attendance will be taken every period by each teacher.
- Tardiness will only be excused when email (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com), phone call, or note (when instruction is on campus) is received on the same day of the tardy by legal guardian/parent.
- Absence will only be excused when email (firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com) is received within 3 days of absence.
- If you arrive late to school for in person instruction, go immediately to the Attendance Office, to pick up tardy admit slip and present to teacher.
- Any tardy to a class period during in person instruction - after the third tardy will result in a one-hour detention. (You are responsible for serving detentions assigned). Please refer to the tardy and truancy policy in the SVHS Student/Parent Handbook - click on link to the right.
- Any student who is thirty minutes late without a valid excuse will be assigned Friday or Saturday Detention and may be issued a citation by City Police.
- Parents must possess and present a current government issued identification and physically be present at the Attendance or Health Office whenever checking a student out of school.