Electronic Device School Policy
- Cell phone use is permitted before school, during brunch, lunch and after school. It is PROHIBITED when using a hall pass and during passing periods.
- Cell phones are PROHIBITED from use in classrooms and any other area in which academic work is being done unless otherwise instructed by the teacher.
- Parents / Guardians, in the event of an immediate emergency – please contact the school attendance office at (626) 960-7741 extension 87034 or extension 87093. Do not contact your child as you may disrupt class instruction.
- Headphones and other Bluetooth enabled devices are PROHIBITED on campus and must be put away securely by the student while on campus. Wearing your head/ear buds is a safety concern, which can prevent you from hearing important information that is communicated via the loud speaker or by the adults near you.
- Cell phones are PROHIBITED in restrooms, PE locker rooms, or school offices.
- It is YOUR responsibility to keep your things secure. Once inside the school, students must store their cell phones/electronic device in a location that is not visible to the teacher or other students. The school, nor any of its employees, are responsible for the loss or damage to any student’s phone or electronic device whether that device is in the student’s possession or confiscated by the staff. It is the responsibility of the student to adhere to this policy and to secure his or her belongings at all times. Classes and or instruction will not be stopped to deal with or search
Cell Phones & Electronic Device School Policy
Cell phones/electronic devices may serve as an outstanding instructional tool and learning resource if used appropriately. We encourage our staff members and our students to use electronics and other 21st century devices to supplement instruction and learning. However, it has been proven that students who are on cell phones or other electronic devices when it is not part of the instructional lesson are not fully engaged in learning. In order to preserve the teaching and learning environment, this document is to clarify the cell phone/electronic devices policy for Sierra Vista High School. The policy is:
The respectful, non-disruptive use of cell phones is permitted before school, during brunch and lunch and after school, except in those areas listed as prohibited. As soon as the threshold of the classroom or any prohibited area is crossed cell phones need to be put away and made undetectable (i.e., silenced without vibration). Violation of the Electronic Device Policy will result in the confiscation of the device and disciplinary action.
Student use of cell phones, PDA’s or other electronic devices during the school day is a privilege. Adherence to the guidelines is essential to maintaining an appropriate academic environment and the integrity of the classroom. Abuse of this privilege will result in consequences beginning with confiscation of device, parent conference, suspension, loss of other privileges such as participation in school trips, internships, proms and potentially graduation exercises.
Students must comply with staff directives, including but not limited to, ending phone conversations for student-staff interaction and using appropriate voice volume and device volume. When in use, cell phones must be on silent mode so that no audible ring tone is heard.
Students using cell phones/PDA’s or other functions on electronic devices in any manner that disrupts the educational environment, from within or from outside the classroom, or violates the rights of others, including, but not limited to, using the device in violation of our academic honesty policy, violating school conduct rules, harassing or bullying staff or students, photographing or video recording or using their device for unlawful purposes will be subject to more severe disciplinary action, up to and including suspension and/or expulsion and may, if applicable, be reported to the Baldwin Park City Police Department. *It should be noted that refusal to surrender a cell phone or other electronic device when directed to do so by a school staff member, teacher or administrator is defiance and subject to disciplinary action. Insubordinate behavior is punishable by suspension, exclusion from school events, inclusive of graduation, and or involuntary transfer proceedings.
Cell phones and all functions within the cell phone (i.e. cameras, audio recording feature, and all other applications) are PROHIBITED in the following areas unless expressly permitted by a staff member for educational purposes: Classrooms, Science Labs, Restrooms, all Physical Education Areas, all School Office Areas, as well as meetings and assemblies.